Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rotisserie day

It's the start of the 19th year for the Whiners Rotisserie League, with the auction taking place later today. We still do it the old-fashioned way, with a bunch of guys gathered together in a room bidding on players. And it's still a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, my team (the Deep Funks) has not won the championship since 1994. About the best I could do recently was a tie for third in 2005. To get that far, I traded away most of my good young prospects, and I dropped all the way to the basement in '06.

We'll see how it goes this year. I have a lot of money to spend under the salary cap but no well-established stars as keepers. They're young, and they might do decently: Dan Uggla, Chris Duncan, Jose Bautista, Chuck James, John Patterson, Adam Wainwright and Jonathan Broxton.

Never heard of any of those guys? Hmmm ... I'd better pick up some superstars in a hurry!

Trivia question 5: In what baseball season did the original Rotisserie League, based in New York City, have its first year of competition?

No comments: